Wiki Billing Critical Care

Best answers
I work for a group of Hospitalists. We have physicians and mid-level physicians. My question is if a DO and a NP respond to a rapid response who gets to bill?? Can I add the time together?

I don't know what a "mid-level physician" is, so I will assume you meant "mid-level clinician" or "non-physician provider" - your nurse practitioner.

If CPR was performed, only one physician can bill for CPR - only one person is in charge, no matter who did the actual compressions (it can be someone else).

Split/shared expenses: “A split/shared E/M visit is defined by Medicare Part B payment policy as a medically necessary encounter with a patient where the physician and a qualified NPP each personally perform a substantive portion of an E/M visit face-to-face with the same patient on the same date of service. A substantive portion of an E/M visit involves all or some portion of the history, exam or medical decision making key components of an E/M service. The physician and the qualified NPP must be in the same group practice or be employed by the same employer.”

So what substantive portion of care did the NP provide?