Wiki Billing for DOT & Prev. Med. Exams on same day

krblume

New
Best answers
Need some advice on this please:
Some of our physicans do DOT physicals (which either the pt. pays for up front or their employer pays) and Preventative med. exams on the same day. Physican does dictate two seperate dictations also. How would you bill these types of situations?

I would bill only once based on the physical that was actually provided. A preventive physical most times will require more to be done then a DOT physcial. If the more comprehensive physical was done then I would only bill the insurance for a preventive physical. We still fill out the patients DOT paperwork/cert. If a physcial was only done per DOT guidelines then I would charge the patient only for the DOT physical.

Both physicals are provided, but the patient was only examined once. They do them together to make it easier on the patient not having to come back in, but for billing its a nightmare :) Some of our physicans will just do a Prev. med and still fill out DOT paperwork(but insurance may not pay for the urine dip). In this case its easy, then we just bill the Prev.med code, but for those providers that do the work for both physicals has us in a gray area. Some think they should get credit for both. Thanks for your advice :)