Wiki Billing for Port Flushes

alysonrs

Networker
Best answers
Can anyone tell me how you currently bill for port flushes....Drug and administration??? heparin and admin

Unless I am misunderstanding it, you would bill for the definitive service supplied that day (e.g., infusion, injection, etc), of which the flush is inherent. The heparin may or may not be separately payable--probably depending on your payer.

RE: Port Flush

If you are billing for the declot of a port with the flush, you would bill a 36593 along with your declotting agent. The heparin may not be covered, but your admin should be. If done with anything else same day, add a 59 modifier to the 36593.

Port flushes

Will bill 96523 when the sole and only service provider is for port flushes. This is not billable on the same day as other services. I hope this helps!

Shaunta Brake, CPC
ENCMG Hematology/Oncology/Internal Medicine

What if the patient is undergoing chemo and radiology had trouble accessing her port so they sent her to the general surgeon's office who placed the port. The surgeon has marked a 99213 and listed "Port Access" on his superbill. Does anyone have any suggestions what should be billed for this situation?

Port flus

I would query the surgeon...did he declott the port? Then this would be billed as 36593- Declotting by thrombolytic agent of implanted vascular access device or catheter.

C.Shaunta Brake, CPC