Wiki Billing for School Based Health Services

wverret

Best answers
Does anyone out there have any experience with billing/coding for school based health services?

Do you think 96150 & 96151 would be appropriate to be used in a school setting?

Just Curious.
Willie Verret, CPC

Is this being performed by an outside clinician or is it by a school based clinician? If it's school based, then it's not billable to the child's carrier as this is covered under IDEA as a part of the child's IEP.

If this is an outside source, coming to the child's school you really can't use those codes as these are "...for patients who present with primary physical illnesses, diagnoses or symptoms and may benefit from assessments and interventions that focus on the biopsychosocial factors related to the patient's health status."

SBBH services are usually one on one, as if it were taking place in the clinicians office. I would use 90801 for initial interview. Further analysis could be coded as 90845. If the clinician is observing the child in a classroom environment then 90882 could be used. All of these would have a place of service of 03 "A facility whose primary purpose is education."

I hope this helps you. I have a child who is getting SBBH services through the Department of Education with a clinician on campus daily. Send me a direct message if you need further clairification. Good luck to you!

Is this being performed by an outside clinician or is it by a school based clinician? If it's school based, then it's not billable to the child's carrier as this is covered under IDEA as a part of the child's IEP.

If this is an outside source, coming to the child's school you really can't use those codes as these are "...for patients who present with primary physical illnesses, diagnoses or symptoms and may benefit from assessments and interventions that focus on the biopsychosocial factors related to the patient's health status."

SBBH services are usually one on one, as if it were taking place in the clinicians office. I would use 90801 for initial interview. Further analysis could be coded as 90845. If the clinician is observing the child in a classroom environment then 90882 could be used. All of these would have a place of service of 03 "A facility whose primary purpose is education."

I hope this helps you. I have a child who is getting SBBH services through the Department of Education with a clinician on campus daily. Send me a direct message if you need further clairification. Good luck to you!

Hello Deedee
I am looking for assistance on when to use this code (90882) and how documentation should be written. As I continue to read the definition and documentation requirement for 90882, I disagree with the explanation given on this post. Have you taking a closer look, from then to now at the description of the code? It may have changed from when this post was sent in 2009? Thanks for your help...

90882 is Environmental intervention for medical management purposes on a psychiatric patient's behalf with agencies, employers, or institutions.

The examples for this code include: physician visit to a work site to improve work conditions for a particular patient, visits to community-based organizations on behalf of a chronically mentally ill patient to discuss a change in living conditions, or accompaniment of a patient with a phobia in order to help desensitize the patient to a stimulus. Since this is not necessarily face-to-face, some plans may not cover it. Medicare does not cover it.

I am also not convinced that observing a child in a classroom would fit this code. Observation is not intervention.