Wiki Billing for treatment of MVA & non-related cold w/flu shot on same day

Best answers
We have an Internal Medicine provider and need to clarify how to bill for treatment of an MVA and treatment of a cold with flu shot in the same day. Their office is stating to bill it one way and we are not in agreement. Thank you all.

Last edited:
My personal recommendation for when a patient is being seen basically for 2 separate visits (one NF or WC and another for regular health insurance) is to have 2 separate notes.
If records are needed by any carrier, they should be sent ONLY the relevant record. So NF should not be billed nor sent records containing flu shot information. And commercial carrier being billed for cold & flu shot services should not be billed nor sent records containing automobile injury information.
Each service and record should be appropriately coded and leveled based on that specific portion of the service. If it is one note, it is much more difficult to ascertain whether a prescription, or a test order was due to a particular visit.

I agree with Christine's advice. Don't mix the notes. In some cases, I have seen two separate accounts (if the EMR has the ability to link them to one patient). One account/record for the MVA and one for other. Everything must be separate.

Whenever my providers do this I separate it in to two claims. One to the MVA/auto insurance and then the other to the patients health insurance. The auto insurance doesn't really need to know or pay for the flu shot.

My personal recommendation for when a patient is being seen basically for 2 separate visits (one NF or WC and another for regular health insurance) is to have 2 separate notes.
If records are needed by any carrier, they should be sent ONLY the relevant record. So NF should not be billed nor sent records containing flu shot information. And commercial carrier being billed for cold & flu shot services should not be billed nor sent records containing automobile injury information.
Each service and record should be appropriately coded and leveled based on that specific portion of the service. If it is one note, it is much more difficult to ascertain whether a prescription, or a test order was due to a particular visit.
Thank you so very much for your reply!! It validates what our thoughts were and now we can go back to the provider and advise. Enjoy your day!!