Wiki Billing policy regarding age of specimen when received in the lab

Is there a billing policy that specifies a cut off date regarding the age of a specimen when received in the lab?
As far as billing goes, I think it would be dependent on how far out you are from the DOS and if you fall outside of timely filing with the payor in question.

Hi Lynn877,
What is going on and I am simply asking why would ask this question? If an outside facility receives something that took several days to get to the lab (for whatever reason) it may be undiagnosed (nothing found because sample what unsatisfactory and the specimen was ultimately deemed non diagnostic), there are also pathology cases that have outside consultations from several years ago.
It helps to have clarity on what is happening okay please. If you could potentially share what you are faced with, we may be able to help you.
Thanks,
Dana

Hi Lynn877,
What is going on and I am simply asking why would ask this question? If an outside facility receives something that took several days to get to the lab (for whatever reason) it may be undiagnosed (nothing found because sample what unsatisfactory and the specimen was ultimately deemed non diagnostic), there are also pathology cases that have outside consultations from several years ago.
It helps to have clarity on what is happening okay please. If you could potentially share what you are faced with, we may be able to help you.
Thanks,
Dana
I've been asked, "Is there is a time limit on the billing aspect? How long can a tech delay processing and shipping to the lab?" I don't personally know of any specific time limit from a billing perspective other than the previously mentioned timely filing deadlines but wanted to pose the question here in case I was missing something.