Wiki Billing Telehealth

mullenslemoine@aol.com

Contributor
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I am new to biller to Telehealth. I work for a Pediatric & Family Practice. MS Medicaid and CMS says we can now bill via telephone only due to the virus & said to use 99441-99443 with modifier GT. They put out a big article about it. I went to my CPT book & I understand the guidelines for billing these codes. My questions are:
1. How frequent can you bill a telehealth visit?
2. Do we have to tell the established patient that we cannot do another telehealth visit for 7 days, because what if they keep calling?
3. If the patient called for a telehealth encounter for a virus & 3 days later called for another telehealth encounter for a sprained ankle, how would you bill these? They are 2 different chief complaints but both telehealth due to cutting down people in the lobby.
4. What if you had and E/M regular office visit on Monday due to virus but on Friday did a telehealth visit for rash. Since this is within 7 days how would you bill this?
Thank You All For Your Help,
Overloaded with Info
Jessie Lemoine, CPC, CPB

I was just on United Healthcare's website. They have pretty straight forward directions. CMS updated their guidelines on March 17th. I am just checking each insurance company's guidelines-they should update to the CMS. I would bill your visits, just make sure which modifier the insurance company wants!

Ok. I have found out straight from Medicaid & I have it in writing in an email.
1. There is no frequency to billing telehealth but you have to watch the time spans of the last billing of a telehealth not with 7 days of the next E/M or within 24 hrs of a E/M.
2. They would advise it but it does not have to be documented.
3. You can bill both telehealth visits since they are non related.
4. You can bill the telehealth visit.