Wiki Billing UA

JBS

Contributor
Best answers
I have a question regarding billing for a UA (attached to a office visit). I have two codes F12.20 (cannabis dependence, uncomplicated) and Z79.891 (long term current opioid use). I believe the general rule is if there is a dependence code and a use code to throw out the use code and just bill using dependence (ex: f11.20(opioid dependence, uncomplicated and z79.891(long term current opioid use) we just use f11.20), but since these are two different drugs can we bill using both, or should the use still be thrown out? Thank you! Jenn

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question regarding billing for a UA (attached to a office visit). I have two codes F12.20 (cannabis dependence, uncomplicated) and Z79.891 (long term current opioid use). I believe the general rule is if there is a dependence code and a use code to throw out the use code and just bill using dependence (ex: f11.20(opioid dependence, uncomplicated and z79.891(long term current opioid use) we just use f11.20), but since these are two different drugs can we bill using both, or should the use still be thrown out? Thank you! Jenn

If these are drugs being administered for pain control and the provider does not document a non therapeutic dependence then do not use the F codes for dependence or use. Pain control with drugs is a thereapeutic use regardless of whether the drug is canabis or opioids. If your patient were a drug addict then it is highly unlikely that your provider would prescribe narcotics for pain relief.