Wiki breast coding help 19125 vs 19301

MEZIESKY

Guru
Best answers
Could someone please let me know where to find the latest on breast coding. We have a lot of confusion with "lumpectomy" . I would like some resources to show the Doctors the verbiage difference between 19125 and 19301. And 19125 vs 19101.. They like to use 19301 for all. Sometimes they specify margins taken and sometimes they do not. That is key verbiage to me.
Thank you

19125 is for excision of breast lesion that has a preop placement radiological marker. So in this case they will only remove said lesion and the marker helps them find it; marker is removed with the lesion.

19301 is for removal of tumor or lumpectomy but they will also take extra (surrounding margins)

Could someone please let me know where to find the latest on breast coding. We have a lot of confusion with "lumpectomy" . I would like some resources to show the Doctors the verbiage difference between 19125 and 19301. And 19125 vs 19101.. They like to use 19301 for all. Sometimes they specify margins taken and sometimes they do not. That is key verbiage to me.
Thank you
Did you ever find resources for this? I am also looking for some education on these codes

here is some information from the Mayo Clinic:

Lumpectomy
Breast Biopsy

Here are the code descriptions from EncoderPro:

19101- Biopsy of breast; open, incisional - The physician removes tissue for biopsy. The physician makes an incision in the skin of the breast near the site of the suspect mass. The mass is identified and a sample of the lesion is removed. This specimen is often examined immediately. If the lesion is benign, the incision is repaired with layered closure. If malignant, the incision may be closed pending a separate, more extensive surgical session, or a more extensive surgery may occur immediately, in which case this code would not be reported

19125 - Excision of breast lesion identified by preoperative placement of radiological marker, open; single lesion - The physician uses radiologic markers to identify breast tissue to be excised for biopsy. The physician makes an incision in the skin of the breast over the site of the lesion marked for excision by preoperative placement of a radiological marker. The lesion and marker are excised. Bleeding vessels are controlled with electrocautery or ligated with sutures. A drain may be inserted into the wound. The incision is sutured in layered closure and a light dressing is applied. Report 19126 for each additional lesion identified by a preoperative marker and removed during the same surgical session

19301 - Mastectomy, partial (eg, lumpectomy, tylectomy, quadrantectomy, segmentectomy); - The physician excises a breast tumor and a margin of normal tissue by performing a partial mastectomy by making an incision through the skin and fascia over a breast malignancy and clamping any lymphatic and blood vessels. The physician excises the mass along with a margin or rim of healthy tissue. This procedure is often referred to as a segmental mastectomy or a quadrantectomy, but is also called a lumpectomy. In 19302, an axillary lymphadenectomy is also performed. The lymph nodes between the pectoralis major and the pectoralis minor muscles and the nodes in the axilla are removed through a separate incision. A drainage tube may be placed through a separate stab incision to enhance drainage from the wound or lymphatic system. The incision is repaired with layered closure and a dressing is applied