Wiki Calculus Removal Same side

ao7777

New
Best answers
Good Afternoon,

If a surgeon removes a stone from the kidney by PCNL (50080) and there is a separate stone is the distal ureter and performs a 52356, can you code both if done on same side?

Yes: Per new guidelines, Placement of additional accesses, if needed, into the kidney, and removal of stones through other approaches (eg, open or retrograde) may be reported separately, if performed.

Thank you! May I ask one more question? If the patient has stones in left kidney and stones in left ureter and the urologist removes the stones in ureter by transurethral basket (52352) and then goes back in and goes to kidney and does a lithotripsy on those stones and removes (52356), I am able to code both the 52356 and 52352?

You’ll find conflicting info on that. We have to a compliance team here at my work. So I would only code 52356. Since it’s the same side.

But here’s a link to help support coding both.

These rules are crazy, you’ll notice. CPT guidelines say we can use retrograde now with 50080-81. But Medicare bundles these still, so I 59 the retrograde grades.

Thank you! May I ask one more question? If the patient has stones in left kidney and stones in left ureter and the urologist removes the stones in ureter by transurethral basket (52352) and then goes back in and goes to kidney and does a lithotripsy on those stones and removes (52356), I am able to code both the 52356 and 52352?
Yes, 52356 for the lithotripsy and stent placement in the kidney, 52352-XS for the basket removal of the stones in the ureter.