Wiki Can an MD bill incident to with a DDS?

Best answers
Our medical practice has hired a DDS to work with patients in certain circumstances. We are limited to what a DDS can bill in the medical setting on a 1500 form. The practice is wondering if we can broaden the services the DDS can perform in a medical setting by having them work incident to an MD. The DDS is NOT an oral surgeon, etc.....straight DDS board certification. I'm not sure it's feasible but have been unable to find anything in writing. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Hi there, I recommend members of your practice read your MAC's materials on incident-to services. It looks like NGS has a lot of information, including a webinar in December.
Two things to consider now:
  1. Every provider must work within their scope of practice. The DDS can't perform services beyond what they're allowed to do by state law, even if they work incident-to another provider.
  2. Incident-to services must be part of the patient’s normal course of treatment, and after the supervising provider personally performed an initial service and remains actively involved in the course of treatment. So if the supervising physician doesn't normally perform dental services, the DDS can't perform that work incident-to the physician's work.