• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten the password it can be reset on our sign in section by entering your registered Email Address or Username here. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..

Can I charge mod sedation for placement of nerve blocks

Messages
5
Location
Salisbury, NC
Hi,
If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.
I am coding for a hospital; The anesthesiologist is using moderate sedation to place nerve blocks before a surgery. The surgery anesthesia is MAC and I know I can't charge for the nerve block, but was wondering if I could charge for a facility charge for the mod sedation? I was thinking it's like when you charge for us guidance used with a nerve block even when you can't charge for the nerve block.

Any thoughts......
 
MAC and moderate sedation are two completely different things. Moderate sedation would not be administered by an anesthesiologist, rather by the surgeon. With moderate sedation, the patient is somewhat conscious.

MAC is monitored anesthesia care with the patient being unconscious and is administered by an anesthesiologist.
 
Top