Wiki Can locum tenens be used for terminated providers?

Alfaro33

Networker
Best answers
I'm understanding locum tenens (now fee-for-time compensation arrangements) would be used when the physician is absent for reasons such as illness, pregnancy, vacation, or continuing medical education.

I am unable to find any guidance for a termination scenario, any information would be appreciated.

Are you talking about a provider that has been terminated from a practice? There is an understanding the regular provider is going to return. In your case, they would not be. I am not sure that is allowed.

A “continuous period of covered visit services” begins with the first day on which the substitute physician or physical therapist provides covered visit services to Medicare Part B patients of the regular physician or physical therapist, and ends with the last day the substitute physician or physical therapist provides services to such patients before the regular physician or physical therapist returns to work. This period continues without interruption on days on which no covered visit services are provided to patients on behalf of the regular physician or physical therapist or are furnished by some other substitute physician or physical therapist on behalf of the regular physician or physical therapist. A new period of covered visit services can begin after the regular physician or physical therapist has returned to work.

I agree. A L.T. provider is a "Fill In" and temporarily sees/treats patients while a provider is away. I know that office managers and even providers may see a L.T. as a solution to a problem. If the provider is not returning the qualifications for a L.T. is not met. It's a fine line but...