Wiki Can Radiologists modify orders?

Best answers
Both the AAPC and Radiology Today say it is acceptable for radiologists in a hospital setting to change or modify a diagnostic procedure without the express consent or issuance of a new order by the treating physician. Where can I find supporting guidelines from CMS?

Y
Both the AAPC and Radiology Today say it is acceptable for radiologists in a hospital setting to change or modify a diagnostic procedure without the express consent or issuance of a new order by the treating physician. Where can I find supporting guidelines from CMS?
Per the guidance in the Medicare Benefit Policy Manual, Chapter 15, section 80.6 - "Requirements for Ordering and Following Orders for Diagnostic Tests" (link below), the radiologist must obtain a new order. Under section 80.6.2. "Interpreting Physician Determines a Different Diagnostic Test is Appropriate", it states: "the interpreting physician/testing facility may not perform the unordered test until a new order from the treating physician/practitioner has been received".

Appreciate the reply Thomas, however, there's a note for Section 80.6 as follows:
NOTE: Unless specified, these sections are not applicable in a hospital setting
Section 80.6.2 states: When an interpreting physician, e.g., radiologist, cardiologist, family practitioner, general internist, neurologist, obstetrician, gynecologist, ophthalmologist, thoracic surgeon, vascular surgeon, at a testing facility determines that an ordered diagnostic radiology test is clinically inappropriate or suboptimal, and that a different diagnostic test should be performed (e.g., an MRI should be performed instead of a CT scan because of the clinical indication), the interpreting physician/testing facility may not perform the unordered test until a new order from the treating physician/practitioner has been received.
Hospital does not fall under the definition of testing facility and I'm specifically looking for hospital setting guidance.
Thanks so much