Wiki Can you bill units for excision codes?

krisfelty

Best answers
I need help. The podiatrist I code for tries to bill multiple units say for example code 28122 or 28104. He even said he makes one incision but does things to multiple bones/toes? Does anyone with Podiatry expertise know if this is correct. Our AHCCCS reps say no per AMA/CPT guidelines. My Dr wants to see this in writing. If anyone has any links they can forward me regarding this , that would also be a tremendous help.

Thank You!!!

Kristin F. CPC

At our office one cut one procedure because that is how the insurance companies audit. Now if the doctor is doing multiple procedures on multiple toes in one cut you can use the TA - T9 modifiers to show the multiple procedures but be sure the doctor documents each procedure well. But the insurance company might see it as one cut one procedure.

Thank you Tammy. If you see any other questions from me, please respond. You really know your podiatry coding!!! Thanks so much! We took over this Dr.'s account and it was somewhat of a mess. He also does not know the guidelines too well. He always wants somthing in writing.
Thanks again!!

Kris:)