Wiki Can you charge 2 pushes at same time?

Yes, but one would be charged as an initial IV push (96374), and the second med as an injection new drug add on (96375). If it were the same drug push, then it can only be charged 30 minutes after the first one was given.

This is of course if there were no infusions given (not hydration). If there was an infusion at any point whether before or after those pushes came in the ED, then you would charge 2 IV injection new drug add on codes (96375 X2).

Last edited:
I'm in urgent care so can't code addl same drug push. Not facility
Thank you for your help

Last edited:
can u charge 2 Ivp the's given at same time

IVP's and infusions are based on start and stop time. If you have 1, 2 or 3 IVP's given at same time than they = 1. Same thing with IM's, if same time = 1.

What if there are two separate IV sites.... ?
I am struggling with if a patient has an initial drug infusion in one arm and say.... 2 pushes in that same site but also has an initial push in the other arm... So we are looking at, for example:

Right arm IV site
96375x2

and
Left arm IV site

Does that 96374 need a modifier of any kind since I have an initial on the right arm and an initial although a different type of initial on the left?

Thank You :)

I have never personally had this happen. All pushes given are all given via original access site. I would however, think you would not be able to get an additional Initial infusion paid.

I am struggling with if a patient has an initial drug infusion in one arm and say.... 2 pushes in that same site but also has an initial push in the other arm... So we are looking at, for example:

Right arm IV site
96375x2

and
Left arm IV site

Does that 96374 need a modifier of any kind since I have an initial on the right arm and an initial although a different type of initial on the left?

Right arm IV site
96375x2

and
Left arm IV site

Yes, if another infusion or IVP is started at another site (i.e. infusion at left ac and then infusion at right hand) you can charge a second initial infusion or IVP. For the second initial service you'd have to add modifier -XS to show that it was a separate site.

Kim R, CPC
ED Coder and Medical Records

Coding IVPs administered at the same time

Where I work we do not code 2 IVP administrations for Dilaudid & Zofran as well as for morphine & Zofran when given at the same time. This is because the RNs combine these particular drugs into 1 administration. I don't know how universal the practice of combining these IVP meds is.

ens555

charging IVPs given at the same time

Here are some other thoughts: reach out to your ED nurses via the appropriate person to find out what's really happening. I've been told that the RNs combine certain drugs into one push; commonly IVP Zofran with IVP Dilaudid or IVP morphine. Many drugs are NEVER combined. Let's say that 96374 has already been given. Then if I see subsequent meds IVP morphine & IVP Zofran are both given at 10:00 I code 1 push, 96375. Or if I see IVP diphenhydramine & IVP Toradol are both given at 10:00 I code 2 pushes or 96375 x 2.

Other thoughts: Patients with multiple IV access sites are often the very sick/critical patients. I would check for medical necessity before coding for 2 initial IV injection codes.

I welcome all feedback on these thoughts.

Thank you,

ens555