Wiki Career in IR

Best answers
Hello Everyone,
I’m interested in a career in IR. I have been coding IMFM for the past 4 years. I am a registered X-ray and Cat Scan tech with a Bachelor’s Degree in Radiological Science. I need some direction on how to get started and what the job outlook is for this specific area of coding. I have found a program on line that’s more detailed than what AAPC offers. Has anyone taken that class and was it worth it? I’m not sure if I can mention that program on this forum. It covers diagnostic radiological and interventional coding. Any suggestions/guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for time,
Peggy

Peggy,
Almost every specialty has different "rules" and both IR and cardiovascular surgery are particularly challenging areas. I have both AAPC's IR certification as well as an IR certification from a different vendor and can attest that the other vendor's certification and program focused specifically on IR while AAPC's certification is more cardiovascular surgery with IR mixed in so it will depend on which area interests you more. Of course nothing will prepare you for actually coding in each area, no matter how good the certification program's classes are, so my advice is decide which area interests you more (or it could be both) and try to apply for an apprentice coding job in that area. For example, since you have knowledge of radiology you could apply for a diagnostic radiology coder position with a company and let them know that you are interested in becoming an IR coder. Good companies will jump at the chance to obtain a coder who can do both diagnostic and IR and would be willing to provide on the job training for a coder to be proficient in both, even without an IR certification. They will eventually expect you to obtain your IR certification at some point but on the job training is free and so much more beneficial in the long run, so my advice to you would be to try to find an apprentice coding position with a GOOD company who is willing to train you and see what happens.
Sincerely,
Anita

Peggy,
A little FYI, the CIRCC coder covers Cardiac Cath and its interventions, Electrophysiology, Interventional Radiology and its interventions (working on all the vessels in the body except for the heart), and Non-invasive studies of the blood vessels.
HTH,
Jim Pawloski, R.T.(CV), CIRCC