• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

cataract removal with anterior vitrectomy

leren44

Best answers
I work for an ASC. One of our surgeions did a phaco cataract removal. After the phaco was done to the nucleus, the surgeon states " a capsular tear was noted centrally in the capsule and a limited anterior vitrectomy was performed"

My question is, can't I bill the anterior vitrectomey in addition to the phaco? When I inquired the surgeon as to whether the vitrectomy was done due to a vitreous hemorrhage, he stated I couldn't bill for the vitrectomy. Is this correct?

Thanks for any help

salCCS

Networker
Best answers
Hello, I agree with physician please see article.

Codes 67005 and 67010 are listed as components of 66984 (extracapsular cataract removal with insertion of intraocular lens prosthesis [one stage procedure], manual or mechanical technique [e.g., irrigation and aspiration or phacoemulsification]) on the Correct Coding Initiative (CCI) and are not separately payable for iatrogenic complications. The billing of 66984 and 67005 or 67010 with modifier -59 (distinct procedural service) would be unbundling, a type of Medicare billing fraud, says Raequell Duran, president of Practice Solutions, a Santa Barbara, Calif.-based ophthalmology coding and compliance consultancy.

Sal Valdepena, CCS, CEDC