Wiki Catheter associated thrombosis

SivasenanV

Best answers
Good Day for Every one!

I have clarification regarding the diagnosis for “catheter associated thrombosis of upper extremity vein”. The patient was admitted for “catheter associated thrombosis of upper extremity vein” and It was confirmed by Duplex.

I am trying to get the correct code for MS DRG IP coding.

If I go with the Dx;
T85.86XA - (Thrombosis due to internal prosthetic devices, implants and grafts, not elsewhere classified, initial encounter)
The MS DRG will – 920 “Compilation of treatment”

If I go with the Dx:
T82.868A - (Thrombosis of vascular prosthetic devices, implants and grafts, initial encounter).
The MS DRG Will – 315 “Other Circulatory system diagnosis”.
The above T82.868A code states “Thrombosis of device”. But patient was admitted for catheter associated thrombosis of upper extremity vein.

I thought no complication in device, but complication due to device.

So, I have clarification regarding the diagnosis for “catheter associated thrombosis of upper extremity vein”.
Please Help…

In 3M complication - Device - Catheter- Infusion device- Lead to code T82.868A and code description is "Thrombosis due to vascular prosthetic device, implants and grafts, Initial encounter". I think this was more appropriate and code description was changed in 3M from october 2016.

Bala Srinivas Tati

As the catheter is in the upper extremity vein, it is a infusion, intravenous catheter, so in that case it would be T82.868A. If anyone has any other idea do suggest me.