Wiki CDEO

LIVE2CODE

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I am debating on getting my CDEO or CRC certification. Both are good to have I am sure, but those of you that are CDEOs was the course beneficial or would the study guide w/practice exams suffice for Test preparation? also was finding work difficult?

I actually took the CDEI prep course through the #freeaapc earlier in the year, but I was way out of my element on that. So I purchased the study guide for the CDEO and just based on using that, plus other relevant experience, I was able to pass the CDEO exam on my first attempt.

I am not currently "using" the CDEO though, and I've found 99% of employers don't know what it is. From what I've seen the CDIP with AHIMA is still the preferred certification for CDI.

Sinman0531 thank you for your response. I am finding out that a lot of people are not aware of CDEO credential. Which is really shocking; base off what I read on AAPC its one of the top paying credentials. I am at a cross roads with this. From the description it seems like it a good tool to use for auditing. Sales end tomorrow I don't know my other option is Risk adjustment Coder jobs are plentiful.
Thanks again.

I think I would do the CRC before the CDEO. I agree with the above response that AHIMA is the preferred certification and more well known for CDI. In my searching over the years I have also found most CDI roles are for those that have a clinical degree/license such as RN, BSN along with the coding certification(s). Depending on what certifications you may already have I would say the CRC would be more marketable right now.

I wouldn't base my choice of certification off of those "top paying credentials" lists. Don't forget, the folks that respond to the salary surveys in those top paying lists probably have other degrees, 20+ years of experience, and may be in management, supervisory or senior roles. I think some of that can just a marketing tactic for getting more people to take the courses.

CDEO could be a good tool for auditing but I would get the CPMA first if that's what direction you would want to go. That is more desired and employers know about it (in my experience). Unless you specifically want to try to obtain a role in CDI only.

I personally have never wasted my money on the "courses". I do the study guide and all the practice exams over and over until I get the practice tests down, then take the exam. I think it depends on your background, test taking style/ability, and level of prior knowledge. If someone is completely new and has never coded or had any knowledge of medical billing, claims, coding, insurance, medical terminology, etc. it's going to be really difficult to pass anything.