Wiki Central Line Placement

Best answers
I have an ER where the physician placed a central line. I am not very familiar with coding these types of procedures. I am not sure what tunneled vs non tunneled vs central tunneled is. Does a central line indicate that it is a central tunneled?
The information I have to code from is central line placement, right IJ with ultrasound. and the CPT code I currently have is 36573 but I have no clue if this is even close to accurate.
Thanks in advance!

I have an ER where the physician placed a central line. I am not very familiar with coding these types of procedures. I am not sure what tunneled vs non tunneled vs central tunneled is. Does a central line indicate that it is a central tunneled?
The information I have to code from is central line placement, right IJ with ultrasound. and the CPT code I currently have is 36573 but I have no clue if this is even close to accurate.
Thanks in advance!

To be qualify to code it as a central venous access catheter, the documentation indicates where the tip terminates in ( subclavian, innominate , iliac veins, right atrium, or SVC/IVC).
The catheter inserts centrally (jugular, subclavian, femoral vein or IVC) or peripherally (basilic, brachial, cephalic, saphenous vein).
If it is inserted centrally, then you need to look for term in op report " tunneled or non-tunneled", patient's age, with/without port/pump.

To be qualify to code it as a central venous access catheter, the documentation indicates where the tip terminates in ( subclavian, innominate , iliac veins, right atrium, or SVC/IVC).
The catheter inserts centrally (jugular, subclavian, femoral vein or IVC) or peripherally (basilic, brachial, cephalic, saphenous vein).
If it is inserted centrally, then you need to look for term in op report " tunneled or non-tunneled", patient's age, with/without port/pump.
There is not a full OP report. Since it was done in the ER by the ER physician it is a very simple procedure note. The information I gave was basically all he included in his procedure note. He didn't mention tunneled or non tunneled or if there was a port.

Since it was done with ultrasound, check the ultrasound or x-ray report if indicated the tip termination, then code it as central venous catheter non-tunnel.