Wiki cervical degenerative disc disease

Best answers
Hi, as of 10/01/22 coding for cervical disc disease is no longer to the highest level. My question is if you have cervical disc disease with radiculopathy on multiple levels, do you code each level with radiculopathy using the combo code or just the highest level with radiculopathy / combo code and they remaining affected levels without radiculopathy?
Thank you in advance.

Hi Max21998:)
Check out the dx M50.11-M50.13 list cervical radiculopathy in areas of neck C2-C8 if provider listed in notations. You cannot code both M50.11 and M54.12 because of the Excludes 1 rule. I'd code the highest level I'd if this is what the provider has stated. However, if the patient has problems in more areas in his neck then code them both if documented.
Well hope his helps you somewhat.(y)
Lady T

Hi Max21998:)
Check out the dx M50.11-M50.13 list cervical radiculopathy in areas of neck C2-C8 if provider listed in notations. You cannot code both M50.11 and M54.12 because of the Excludes 1 rule. I'd code the highest level I'd if this is what the provider has stated. However, if the patient has problems in more areas in his neck then code them both if documented.
Well hope his helps you somewhat.(y)
Lady T
Hi,
Thanks for the response but I am asking when a Provider documents Multi Levels of Cervical DDD w/ Radiculopathy is it warranted to code multiple levels w/ the Combo code that has Radiculopathy included. ( IE: M50.121, M50.122, M50.123 ). Is this appropriate or redundant to have Radiculopathy coded 3 times?
Thx

Hi Max,
It is not redundant cause it speaks of each area,. I' would use them all if provider listed each area. It just depends on his or her notations . And no it is not redundant if provider mentioned each area C2-C7 cervical region. There are many disease list differ areas or locations such as Hemorrhoids K64, Colon Polyps D12, Lumbar Sciatica M54, CHKD N18 just to name a few illnesses. That is why we as coders like it when the provider is specific and detailed.
I hope helped you . Have a great day!
Lady T