Wiki Changing your address with insurance carriers

l1ttle_0ne

Guru
Best answers
I've never had to do this before. How do I go about changing my address with insruance carriers. One lady at work says all we should have to do is change our address with the clearing house, and that should be it. But that doesn't seem like that would change our address with the carriers. It seems like we would have to fill out forms for the carriers. Any help you can give would be great. I don't have time to start on this until next week. But I'm just curious as to how its done. Thank you!

Just send a letter to all your carriers regarding address change and advise them to update their system. Make sure you include TAX id and NPI. Also list where you are located now and where you are moving to with the effective date. Hopefully your address change is weeks away.

This will generally work for all carriers but Medicare and Medicaid they have specific forms on their websites that need to be filled out. I learned this the hard way when we were trying to add a new clinic location and I sent letters to all payers. They will let you know if a letter in not an acceptable correspondence.

Yes, this should be a simple process, but unfortunately complications can occur. One of our providers did this about a year ago, and still have problems with waiting for some of the payers to make the changes within their systems. Checks get sent to the wrong address or suite number and provider has to wait forever to get paid! Make sure you use the forms your carrier provides (if any), and my advice would be to send certified (albeit expensive), it would be cost effective in the long run.