Wiki Chapter 15 guidelines on 764.90

amottice

Networker
Best answers
I have a question regarding the 764.90 code which is Chapter 15: Newborn (perinatal) guidelines states: For coding and reporting purposes the perinatal period is defined as before birth through the 28th day following birth. But according to the guidelines chapter 15 are never used on the maternal record. The reason I am asking this is we are doing the 76820 Doppler Velocimetry fetal ultrasound. According to CCI edits 764.90 is one of the allowed dx we can use followed by other conditions the physician specify such as gestational diabetes, hypertension etc. I just need clarification on this because we are using the 764.90 on 76820 when they are doing the ultrasounds on the OB patients, but it states you can?t use it on the maternal record, but the first two sentences is conflicting regarding the perinatal period. How else are we to report this dx if the baby is not even born yet???? Can you help me out on this please?

You cannot code for a baby because you do not have a baby yet . You performed an ultrasound on the mother to examine the fetus, you must use a pregnancy code with fetal abnormality