Wiki chest/rib xray question - Radiology board

trarut

True Blue
Best answers
Hi everyone. I posted this on the Interventional Radiology board yesterday but we're really anxious for an answer so I decided to post here also. Sorry if I offend with the cross-posting.

I need help with some xray coding Pt was seen in office for xrays and, per the reports on file, had (1) Left ribs, 2 view (2) Right ribs, 2 view and (3) Chest, PA and lateral.

Does this qualify as a 71111? None of us are very familiar with Radiology billing -- we know just enough to be dangerous -- and it's the "lateral" view that's throwing us for a loop.

Another question on the same lines: If just a chest xray with PA and lateral views is done, is that also coded as a 71020?

Thanks!
Tracy

It has been a few years since I worked in a Radiology department but I did
some checking and think I can help you with your questions. I believe you
are correct to code the first example as 71111. The description of 71111
is bilateral rib x-rays and PA chest. It includes a minimum of 4 views so that
is consistent with your example.

Your second question is regarding chest x-ray with PA and lateral views.
CPT code 71020 is the correct one for that 2 view chest x-ray.

I hope I have helped. I always enjoy sharing when there is a question about something I am familiar with.

Ann Winters, CPC
Tulsa, OK

chest/rib xray question

The answer for your question is:

71110-Ribs Bilateral, 3 views
71020-PA & Lateral Chest x-ray

You can code 71111 only if One view of chest x- Ray Taken.

The answer for second question is: Yes you can code 71020 for PA & Lateral Chest X-ray

Last edited:
Ann, thanks so much for the summary, it's very helpful! It's always nice to know you're not totally off track when you're trying to figure out something new :)

Tracy

The answer for your question is:

71110-Ribs Bilateral, 3 views
71020-PA & Lateral Chest x-ray

You can code 71111 only if One view of chest x- Ray Taken.

The answer for second question is: Yes you can code 71020 for PA & Lateral Chest X-ray

Thanks for the response. The clarification helps and I'm making notes in my book as we speak!! :)

Tracy