Wiki CHONC E/M CODING PORTION OF TEST

Best answers
Good morning,

I am taking the CHONC exam next month and already went through the paper study guide and am doing the online exam.

What is your best advice for studying for the E/M coding as I already work with Coding Dx codes and HCSPCS codes daily in my current job title/position so I am very familiar with them.

Also, for anyone who has taken the test recently, what percentage of the test do you feel the E/M questions asked? What questions did you find most difficult if you are in my same situation?

Thank you!

Chelsey

I was very surprised by how much E&M is on the test. It seemed like the majority of cases included some part of E&M - and yes you have to level the visit rather than what you do on the CPC. I went through the practice test, the study guide, and I also used E&M university to practice my leveling skills.

I was used to coding the infusions, as I work in pre-auth for infusions and have been in radiation oncology for many years. However I really didn't have to do much with the coding of E&Ms.

For reference, I tested in July and November 2019.

HI

I took my test last Friday and I passed. There is a great amount of E/M questions so I would advise you to go over the guidelines both the 95/97 guidelines as well as the 2021 E/M guidelines. I finished the the test in about 4 hrs. I had time to go back, but i decided not to and just go with my first answer.

If you are familiar with the infusion codes, DX and J-codes you will do great.

Good luck!!!