Wiki CKD stage 2

jhendrix08

Best answers
Hi everyone...hoping you can help.

My provider was reading something today that said in order to code Chronic Kidney Disease Level 2, you have to be able to show "injury"...so albumin level has to be high enough to support the Dx. Everything I read in regard to coding CKD levels is in relation to GFR levels.

Can anyone provide any insight and if possible references? I would be so appreciative!

Thanks!

Not an exact answer to your question; just passing along what an MD told me about this very same question 5 years ago

While eGFR is extremely important re: CKD staging, there are instances when the eGFR can be influenced by other acute conditions on a temporary basis

In other words, the MD has to believe that the CKD stage is going to be persistent and not be unduly influenced by other temporary factors

The MD told me, but I do not remember, some examples of conditions that could throw CKD staging out of whack. IIRC, they seem to be related to certain very serious conditions requiring ED visits (but my memory could be faulty)

The physician may diagnose a condition based on presenting symptoms and clinical studies such as labs. To code a diagnosis the coder relies not on clinic results but on the provider documentation that the patient has a certain diagnosis. It is not up to the coder to determine what evidence is necessary to render a diagnosis. So to code CKD as stage 2 the provider must document a diagnosis of CKD stage 2.