Wiki Cmbs

jodismith

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
We are looking into the CMBS certification for our students that are interested in focusing more on billing when they initially come out of our program. I am interested in getting the opinions of those that are CMBS certified, and also those that hire for these positions on the pros and cons for students pursuing both CMBS and CPC certifications. I appreciate any and all feedback! :)

CMBS and CPC

I have my CMBS from Medical Association of Billers and I got that before I took a coding class. Once I got into coding, that was it. I found my thing! But it is a feather in the hat to have some billing background as well as perform mainly coding functions. It is a fine line between the two very different worlds. I did both until I was so overwhelmed that I hired the best I could afford and I keep her happy. Thus I was able to focus on account retention services and acquiring more business. It is very easy to get pegged as a biller and then the company hires a coder because they can't lose you in billing. As a coder, it is good to collaborate with the billing department but from my experience, pick a side and focus there. Actually, persons who have an Accounting background make for adequately talented billers. This is only from one person's experience and exposure. If this has offended anyone in anyway, my apologies in advance.
Good Luck!

Thanks-I appreciate your input! Especially considering you have both credentials and have been able to put your education into practice.