Wiki COBGC Exam Prep

tterrell

New
Best answers
I received my CPC credential last August and am currently studying for the COBGC specialty exam, as I have been the primary coder for OB/Gyn services at my practice for the last four years. I've purchased the prep course and have taken a couple of practice exams, and a couple of areas of weakness I've identified are the urdynamics procedures and repairs of rectocele, cystocele and other prolapses. Does anyone have recommendations of other resources I can use to increase my knowledge in these areas? I've been studying the OB/Gyn Specialty Coder guide and had one of my physicians order the ACOG 2023 Coding Manual for me yesterday, but I'm specifically wondering if there is a resource where I can view documentation of these procedures for coding practice in addition to the AAPC practice exam? Our practice mainly does deliveries, hysterotomies, laps and hysteroscopies, so I'm looking for as much exposure as possible. Thank you!

The uro/gyn area is my weakness as well. I failed my first exam due to this topic and another area. I honestly do not know why they have uro/gyn within this exam as not very many ob/gyns perform these types of procedures/surgeries. I wish they would let us give feedback on these exams!
My providers are actually going to help me learn these areas. Good luck to you.

Here is a link to my "go to" urodynamic procedure coding guidelines cheat sheet. I pull it out every time I have to code a UD procedure. I am also lucky enough to have a provider in our office that does these all the time so I was able to pick her brain about how the procedures are done/related. Hope this helps and good luck. I hope to take that exam next year, as I have been coding OBGYN for the past three years.

https://www.augs.org/assets/1/6/Coding_Fact_Sheet_for_Urodynamic_Procedures._2017_v2.pdf

The uro/gyn area is my weakness as well. I failed my first exam due to this topic and another area. I honestly do not know why they have uro/gyn within this exam as not very many ob/gyns perform these types of procedures/surgeries. I wish they would let us give feedback on these exams!
It's funny to read this since two of the practices I code for have providers that do a ton of UD procedures, prolapse procedures, and the most dreaded sacral implant procedures.

I agree! I've watched several YouTube videos for tips on the best way to flag my CPT book and prep for the exam, and most say the exam is largely UD procedures and very few (maybe 2-3 cases) obstetrics cases. If that's the case, it doesn't seem to be weighted to accurately test our knowledge across the OB/Gyn spectrum.

Here is a link to my "go to" urodynamic procedure coding guidelines cheat sheet. I pull it out every time I have to code a UD procedure. I am also lucky enough to have a provider in our office that does these all the time so I was able to pick her brain about how the procedures are done/related. Hope this helps and good luck. I hope to take that exam next year, as I have been coding OBGYN for the past three years.

https://www.augs.org/assets/1/6/Coding_Fact_Sheet_for_Urodynamic_Procedures._2017_v2.pdf
Thank you so much! I appreciate your help and the link.