Wiki Code 90849 definition

jukeboxjoy

Best answers
Could any of you our there please define " Multiple-family group psychotherapy"
I have a family of 4 children going to one therapist as meeting together is working for them better in their recovery.
I have BCBS FED as primary & CVR as secondary on 2 of the children.
I am wondering has anyone ever used 90849 code ? Does in pay on it & would there be any better code than this?
90847 is for Family, but there is not one specific client in this group.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

With thanks.
Jenny

Could any of you our there please define " Multiple-family group psychotherapy"
I have a family of 4 children going to one therapist as meeting together is working for them better in their recovery.
I have BCBS FED as primary & CVR as secondary on 2 of the children.
I am wondering has anyone ever used 90849 code ? Does in pay on it & would there be any better code than this?
90847 is for Family, but there is not one specific client in this group.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

With thanks.
Jenny

It does not look like 90849 would work in this situation. It specifically states it is for Multiple Family Groups and each Family Group is one unit in consideration of the code. So several members of one family would not qualify for this code. I would think the Family code would work because each participant is a patient and they are also members of the family group. So you have not a single patient, but all are patients.

Does anyone know if I can use 90849 - if the physician is meeting with multi-family groups who are dealing with the same behavioral issues and - if the patients are not present?