Wiki Code Change/Addendum

spatch

Best answers
I'm a coder/biller on the professional side. One of my duties is to look at vouchers that the billers are questioning for any number of reasons. When I must change the CPT codes, I send a message to the provider letting him/her know what I've done and why. Should they be doing something in the EMR when this is done? I don't make any entry in the EMR recording the change. It is done on the voucher on the practice manager side. So the billing tab on the clinical side still shows the incorrect code.

Grateful for your opinions...

Susan

As long as the codes on the claim match the narrative medical record note, there is no need to change the code number in the note.

Changing a code on the billing side

I am coder/biller. Just so I understand, if a provider in charge pass codes a CPT code wrong and I need to change it?? Do I need to document that anywhere in the chart or does it matter at all that I have changed the code from what is in the EHR?? The claim will read different from what is in the patients EHR/note. I am concerned for auditing reasons. Thanks in advance.