• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We’re introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Code CPT

Best answers
I am asking for assistance on these question as they have me stuck during practice.

#1 16 year old, new clinic, problem focused history, noticed a lump on her wrist.
P/E: There is a 2cm freely movable, rubbery swelling on the dorsal surface of her right wrist that was notice a day ago. Distal neurovascular and tendon exam intact. This is not painful to palpation. MDM straightforward in complexity. Impression: Ganglion cyst, right wrist.
Treatment: Refer to Dr. Adams for further treatment.
CPT code? 99201

# 2 Clinical Note: Established patient here for routine examination.
Subjective: April is 47 year old female patient who presents today for routine physicial examination
Objective: BP 120/81. Pelvic exam: normal external genitalia. Vagina without discharge except for a scant amount of white dischage that appears normal. Cervix: Multiparous, clear. Bimannual exam is unremarkable. All systems are within normal limits
Assessment: Normal BP...Normal pelvic exam
Plan: Return in 1 year or prn
CPT code? 99396

Last edited:

Evelyn Kim

Guru
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I am asking for assistance on these question as they have me stuck during practice.

#1 16 year old, new clinic, problem focused history, noticed a lump on her wrist.
P/E: There is a 2cm freely movable, rubbery swelling on the dorsal surface of her right wrist that was notice a day ago. Distal neurovascular and tendon exam intact. This is not painful to palpation. MDM straightforward in complexity. Impression: Ganglion cyst, right wrist.
Treatment: Refer to Dr. Adams for further treatment.
CPT code? 99201

# 2 Clinical Note: Established patient here for routine examination.
Subjective: April is 47 year old female patient who presents today for routine physicial examination
Objective: BP 120/81. Pelvic exam: normal external genitalia. Vagina without discharge except for a scant amount of white dischage that appears normal. Cervix: Multiparous, clear. Bimannual exam is unremarkable. All systems are within normal limits
Assessment: Normal BP...Normal pelvic exam
Plan: Return in 1 year or prn
CPT code? 99396
I would refer you to the E&M level guidelines.
In example #1 this is a new patient, Problem focused history, Problem focused exam, and Straight forward medical decision making equals a level 1 new patient visit.
In example # 2 This appears to be a well woman exam. The documentation supplied does not appear to meet the requirements of 99396. Review the CPT code definition.