Wiki Code for Second Opinion in NH

klbrown1

Contributor
Best answers
I have a Dr. who does occassional second opinions on nursing home patients when there is a concern about the patients ability to make responsible medical decisions for themselves. There is a very limited ROS and Exam, mostly all psych eval. Since my doc is doing the second opinion, he is also reviewing the initial physicians records.

What code should I use? An initial nursing visit doesn't sound appropriate - but maybe?

HELP! :)

Thx,
:confused:KLB, CPC

Nursing home consults

Same rules as inpateint care:
The admitting physician of record will bill hospital or skilled nursing facility (SNF) admission work using the initial hospital care CPT codes 99221-99223 or initial SNF care codes 99304-99306, with a new modifier, AI, appended to the visit CPT code.

For an SNF consult, the consultant will bill an initial SNF care code (without the admitting physician modifier).

For subsequent inpatient hospital or SNF care, both the admitting and non-admitting physician(s) should bill Medicare hospital or nursing facility admissions using the initial hospital care CPT codes or initial nursing facility care codes 99304-99306, without the modifier.

http://www.acpinternist.org/archives/2010/01/practice.htm