Wiki coder and biller?

Best answers
I have just passed the CPC exam and were I am employed at now I do the facilities billing. I was informed this morning that the same employee cannot be the biller and the coder. Just want to find out if this is true since I will now be doing the coding and billing for the facilities accounts. Thank you

I have just passed the CPC exam and were I am employed at now I do the facilities billing. I was informed this morning that the same employee cannot be the biller and the coder. Just want to find out if this is true since I will now be doing the coding and billing for the facilities accounts. Thank you
I have been working in healthcare revenue cycle for 20 years. Although it is common to see organizations higher outside companies to do the coding, there is no rule that says a company/provider cannot do both the coding and billing. It is very common that these two functions are done in the same place. I'm not sure what that person was referring to unless they were stating that they CPC is for physician coding, not for facility coding.

I have been working in healthcare revenue cycle for 20 years. Although it is common to see organizations higher outside companies to do the coding, there is no rule that says a company/provider cannot do both the coding and billing. It is very common that these two functions are done in the same place. I'm not sure what that person was referring to unless they were stating that they CPC is for physician coding, not for facility coding.

Thank you for the information

Looks like you may have already gotten your answer, but I think it depends on the company you work for. Currently I'm working for a hospital as a biller and there is a separate coding department that we have to run all of our coding questions and edits through, however the physician office I worked in previously I handled both roles simultaneously.

This is likely a policy set by your employer to prevent fraudulent claims activity. I think the larger the organization becomes, the more likely they are to have a strict separation of these roles. I've worked in a small physician practice where the billing/coding team did all the things and I've worked in two larger practices where the roles were very defined with no crossover of duties.