Wiki Coding catherization

gginevan

Contributor
Best answers
Hi I need some help with a catherization procedure It was done as an outpatient

Patient was prepped and draped etc. the right femoral artery was cannulated in the usual fashion. Guide wire was passed under fluoroscopic guidance. This guide wire was then exchanged for a sheath. The catheter was advanced to the aorta and selective catherization was performed on the contralateral side The catheter was advanced to the left external iliac artery. Left lower extremity angiography was performed. The arteriotomy was closed with an Angio-Seal device. In the left iliac artery they were going to insert a stent but found that it was not needed.

Lot of questions on this one LOL I came up with so far is 36200, 36140LT and since they inserted it in the femoral would that need to be coded also. I am confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you GG:

Last edited:
Hi I need some help with a catherization procedure It was done as an outpatient

Patient was prepped and draped etc. the right femoral artery was cannulated in the usual fashion. Guide wire was passed under fluoroscopic guidance. This guide wire was then exchanged for a sheath. The catheter was advanced to the aorta and selective catherization was performed on the contralateral side The catheter was advanced to the left external iliac artery. Left lower extremity angiography was performed. The arteriotomy was closed with an Angio-Seal device. In the left iliac artery they were going to insert a stent but found that it was not needed.

Lot of questions on this one LOL I came up with so far is 36200, 36140LT and since they inserted it in the femoral would that need to be coded also. I am confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you GG:

36246 for catheterization to the left external iliac from a right side access and 75710. Do NOT code 36200 or 36140. You have to know where they started, but you don't code for that unless they don't go any further.

Thank you so much for your reply So I would only code as far as they did the catherization in which in this case was the external iliac

Thank you