Wiki Coding Delivery Only 59409/59514

ELBrock

Networker
Best answers
Hello! I am a new coder for an FQHC OB/GYN. For our Medicaid program, we do not bill the traditionally global delivery services. Our Medicaid plan directs us to split bill each service.
When it comes to deliveries, I have been instructed we bill the delivery-only codes, such as 59409 (vaginal delivery) and 59514 (Cesarean Delivery).
Currently, our process is that all we bill for the entire inpatient encounter is the delivery-only code.

According to CPT 2020, "When reporting delivery only services (59409, 59514, 59612, 59620), report inpatient postdelivery management and discharge services using Evaluation and Management Services codes (99217-99239)."
So I'm reading that in addition to the delivery-only code, which has a 0-day global designation, that we can also bill subsequent inpatient hospital care codes and discharge services. CPT does state that all delivery codes include admission to the hospital, admission H&P, Management of uncomplicated labor, and delivery services.

Does anyone have any experience here? Thank you very much!

The way our office bills MCD is each individual visit. Then the delivery only. For the postpartum care we bill 59430 for up to three postpartum visits.