Wiki Coding for excision of scar after malignant lision removal

amatichev

New
Best answers
Patient referred with a scar after malignant lision removal by done by another doctor 3 months ago. My doctor proceeded with the removal of the scar tissue to make sure there's no malignant tissue left. Can I still use the CPT code for the excision of a malignant lesion or it's should be different CPT code because of scar tissue? And do I have to use modifier?

You should not be using the excision of a malignant lesion codes unless there is actually malignant tissue remaining that your provider is excising.
No modifier should be needed (unless the code itself requires a modifier like for laterality) if your provider is a separate practice.

The second pathology report was negative for malignancy; even the previous pathology report after shaving baiopsy was positive. Should I code 11402 or should I use the CPT code for the excision of benign lesions for reexcision of the scar after malignant lision removal?

11402 IS excision of a benign lesion, so I'm not sure what other code you intended.
11402 is excision, benign lesion including margins, except skin tag (unless listed elsewhere), trunk, arms or legs; excised diameter 1.1 to 2.0 cm
I do not know the location, nor the size so cannot advise if that code is correct. But you are in the right section.