• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten the password it can be reset on our sign in section by entering your registered Email Address or Username here. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..

Coding from surgical report

REGINALD068

Guest
Messages
66
Location
Monmouth County
Good evening All: The help I recd regarding Anesthesia coding really helped refresh my memory, especially since I never had the opportunity to use it. I need help with something else now. Does anyone know the list of key terms that's used to assist in finding what the procedure being performed is? I haven't coded from surgeries in quite a while, and need some assistance. Thanks!
 
Components of an operative report:

  • Preoperative diagnosis - tentative diagnosis before surgery
  • Postoperative diagnosis - diagnosis after the surgery has been performed
  • Surgical procedure - concise statement of the procedure(s) performed
  • Indications for procedure - facts leading up to the decision for the surgery
  • Details of procedure - narrative detailed description of the surgical procedures
  • Signature of surgeon

    Common Procedural Terms of Method or Technique:
    • Incision
    • Excision
    • Destruction
    • Amputation
    • Introduction
    • Endoscopy
    • Repair
    • Suturing
    • Manipulation

    Also pay attention to the approach for example: Did the surgeon access surgical site throught the umbilical or the thoracic?


    Sample of questions to ask yourself to help determine a code (for example, removal of a lesion):
    • Was the lesion benign or malignant?
    • What technique was used to remove the lesion (laser, excision, or shaving)?
    • Where was the lesion?
    • Were there any additional procedures performed, such as intermediate wound closure?
    • What was the excised diameter (greatest clinical diameter) of the lesion?


    I could go on and on but I would probably be typing for hours.:) Pay strict attention to the guidelines for sequencing and modifiers.
 
Last edited:
Top