Wiki Coding I70.203 with Diabetes

Best answers
I have a question regarding Peripheral Vascular Disease that I am hoping someone can answer and possibly point me in the right direction for resources to share with my co-workers. All the research that I find states that there are 2 types of PVD, Functional (damage to the vessel) or Organic (plaque build up). This is my question: If a patient has I70.203 and they also have Type 2 Diabetes, would I use E11.51? Since I70.203 is a more specific code of PVD, and the new guidelines "with" for Diabetes, logically I think E11.51 is correct. I found the following article which states exactly what my train of thought is regarding I70.203 being more specific for PVD. Any guidance could be provided would be greatly appreciated. Here is the article I mentioned:

Documenting PVD in ICD 10
The last six months of ICD 10 implementation has brought about many new challenges and learning opportunities for both providers and coding professionals. One such opportunity is the documentation of peripheral vascular disease (PVD). Documenting PVD without further specificity in ICD-10 codes to I73.9, Peripheral Vascular Disease, Unspecified.
In order to document most specifically for PVD, it’s important to include these components in your documentation:
• Location of vein/artery affected
• Whether the vein/artery is native or a graft (and type of graft if known)
• Complications such as intermittent claudication, ulceration or rest pain
• Liberality (left, right, or bilateral) and specify if one or both sides are affected by complicating conditions of atherosclerosis.

An example of best practice documentation for PVD without complication would be: Patient has atherosclerosis of native artery bilateral lower extremities without ulceration or claudication. This documentation would result in code I70.203, Unspecified atherosclerosis of native arteries of extremities, bilateral legs. This is a more specific code than I73.9, reflecting more specific documentation, which is more clinically relevant.
To document a more complicated case of PVD, one could document: Patient has atherosclerosis of native artery of right lower extremity with rest pain. This documentation would result in code I70.221, which is very specific and includes the complication of rest pain. A briefer method, such as PAD d/t atherosclerosis of native artery RLE with resting pain would also code to I70.221.
Many providers may prefer to continue documenting with the term PAD or even PVD. Our recommendation is to document PAD due to atherosclerosis, because including the term atherosclerosis allows coders to capture the more specific codes, when the condition is caused by the atherosclerotic process, as most arterial disease is.

Thanks again for any help you can provide.

I just wrote in to AHA CC about this same situation. The I70. series is more specified so it would make sense to assume the link, have you gotten any other advice on this?