Wiki coding reexcision for melanoma

paula f3

Guru
Best answers
I have an op note in which the surgeon is coding cpt 21011.
op note reads: The patient was taken to the OR and after adequate laryngeal mask airway anesthesia, the patient was prepped and draped in the usual sterile manner. I marked the lesion and then I marked 1cm markings around the lesion in a circumferential fashion, which were approximately 1 cm from the center circle in the central area that was initially marked.
The incisions were cut down deeply into the subcutaneous tissue. There was some bleeding noted and it was meticulously controlled. I was able to mobilize the lateral skin flap so created and closed it without distorting the eyelid and the lateral canthus at all. It was closed in layers. The subcutaneous layer was closed using 4-0 Vicryl and the skin was closed using 5-0 nylon.

operative procedure : Wide excision of facial melanoma with margins approximately 1cm circumferentially.
not sure code physician gave, could you help?

Thank you
Paula

The code the physician gave describes...Excision, tumor, soft tissue of face or scalp, subcutaneous; less than 2 cm

That seems correct to me.

I have an op note in which the surgeon is coding cpt 21011.
op note reads: The patient was taken to the OR and after adequate laryngeal mask airway anesthesia, the patient was prepped and draped in the usual sterile manner. I marked the lesion and then I marked 1cm markings around the lesion in a circumferential fashion, which were approximately 1 cm from the center circle in the central area that was initially marked.
The incisions were cut down deeply into the subcutaneous tissue. There was some bleeding noted and it was meticulously controlled. I was able to mobilize the lateral skin flap so created and closed it without distorting the eyelid and the lateral canthus at all. It was closed in layers. The subcutaneous layer was closed using 4-0 Vicryl and the skin was closed using 5-0 nylon.

operative procedure : Wide excision of facial melanoma with margins approximately 1cm circumferentially.
not sure code physician gave, could you help?

Thank you
Paula

I disagree this was not a soft tissue tumor from the description it is a facial lesion, you shoul use a code from the integumentary section for malignant excision, also code the layerd repair.