Wiki coding sequence

Best answers
Hello. I am a student just recently enrolled. I am taking the coding course on line and I have a problem.. It seems that I cannot get the coding sequence right. What are the steps that I need to take in order to get the correct answers? My problem is not with the coding numbers but identifying the correct term to answer the question.

Any and any and all help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks.

problem. In your last response you listed; type,location, site, method. What exactly does type mean? I have no clue and I believe that is what is messing me up. I am enrolled online and can't get answers to my questions. Thanks

Hey Brenda,

If you have questions in general about coding please feel free to email me at Marco.Unzueta@Hotmail.com

In regards your main concern about sequencing, there are many things to considered. For example, when using ICD-10-CM you have notes like "use additional code" which can be interpreted as use a 2nd code. Then you have notes like "code first" meaning you need another code that will be listed as the primary diagnosis.

That is just some examples for how sequencing instructions will work.

I have gone through the cpt. book. If I have a question that says pulmonary artery embolectomy; with cardiopulmonary bypass. I first go to artery. It says pulmonary artery. 33910 Pulmonary artery embolectomy, with cardiopulmonary bypass. If I go through type it would be embolectomy? Location: pulmonary Location: artery site: pulmonary artery method: bypass I just down't know!

For CPT, you look for the procedure that has been done. You go and look in the index for that particular term( eg. embolectomy) from there you will see the lists for the type/location, once you find the desired type/location, you will find the corresponding number. After that you verify the five digit code within the appropriate section(surgery, anesthesia, radiology, etc)