• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Coding special stains 88312 & 88313

andeween

New
Best answers
I am trying to resolve a conflict between a client and other coders regarding the billing of special stains 88312 & 88313.

What is the proper coding for the following? Is it 88313 X 2 or 88313 X 8, 88313-59 X 6?

Movat stains (A4, A6, A8-A9, B3-B5, B7-B10, B23-B14) were performed for the evaluation of the small airways....

What is the proper coding for the following? Is it 88312 X 3 or 88312 X 6?

GMS, Gram and Ziehl Neelsen stains (A4, A6) were performed for the evaluation of bacterial & fungal organisms...

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

edna denton

Sundancer

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Hi Edna,

Unit of service on these depends on whether the specimen is from a surgical pathology block, cytological specimen, or hematologic smear (see CPT description). You need to determine the specimen source first, to determine whether you can count each stain only once per specimen, or once per block.

Movat stains are classified to Group II 88313.

GMS, Gram, and Ziehl-Neelsen AFB (or just AFB, acid-fast bacterium) are classified to Group I 88312.

If you need a stain chart to help you with what stains fall into which categories (Group I or II, IHC, etc.) let me know and I can point you to one that I found helpful.

HTH

Last edited:

andeween

New
Best answers
I know how to put the stains in the correct category.

This is a surgical case.

Specimen A: Rt Lung
Specimen B: Lt Lung

88313s were performed on the following blocks: A4, A6, A8-A9, B3-B5, B7-B10, B23-B14

Special stains for organisms (88312 x 3) were performed on the following blocks: A4, A6

So how many 88313s and 88312s can we bill?

Best answers
Stain Chart, yes please!

Hi Edna,

Unit of service on these depends on whether the specimen is from a surgical pathology block, cytological specimen, or hematologic smear (see CPT description). You need to determine the specimen source first, to determine whether you can count each stain only once per specimen, or once per block.

Movat stains are classified to Group II 88313.

GMS, Gram, and Ziehl-Neelsen AFB (or just AFB, acid-fast bacterium) are classified to Group I 88312.

If you need a stain chart to help you with what stains fall into which categories (Group I or II, IHC, etc.) let me know and I can point you to one that I found helpful.

HTH
Hi,

I would be interested in the stain chart you refer to above.

Thank you!

Tammy

cgrif2

Contributor
Best answers
I am new to surgical pathology and would greatly appreciate any informational charts/sites you could point me too.

Thank you in advance.
Connie