Wiki Collection Agencies

dison1974

Best answers
Hello all,

We are looking for a new collection agency for our outstanding patient accounts.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to companies in the CT area? I know that there are many but would like to get a handful to be able to compare to see who does what and for what cost, etc.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Teralyn:confused:

I am not in your area so I cannot give you specific recommendations. However, I would make sure you get an agency that is familiar with your specialty. This is a huge help in the long run if they understand what procedures you are talking about. How they work with you is important. They should make it easy to set up accounts and have a process for payments sent to you instead of them. And finally get references of current clients that you can call. When I started as a billing manager, my current agency gave my name as a client reference. I had no idea how well they were working at the time. Both myself and the person calling were surprised. Needless to say I switched to an agency that meets all the needs above and the references were great.

I would add to check with the state and see if licensing is required for medical collection agencies. If so, ensure your potential vendor has such requirements. Too, make sure they can demonstrate to you some level of success on existing relationships with other clients. Hopefully they'll have that kind of data.

The biggest deficiency I've noticed with collection agencies is they need to know what to do when an account is disputed. Most have no idea. I'd also add the agency should be able to demonstrate that it has staff members who understand patient privacy, including annual training in that area.

I hope my suggestions help you narrow the field.