Wiki Compliance/Ethics Issue

Rperry

Best answers
Good Afternoon Subject Matter Expert Coders,

I am currently a Manager of Revenue Operations and I am a CPC.

My new CMO wants me to provide coding training to the doctors within the organization. Please keep in mind that I was not hired as a CPC. I was hired as the Manager of Revenue Operations who happens to be a CPC.

If I were to provide training to the doctors of the organization would this be a Compliance/Ethics issue or a conflict of interest.

Thanks and have a pleasant day.

Good Afternoon Subject Matter Expert Coders,

I am currently a Manager of Revenue Operations and I am a CPC.

My new CMO wants me to provide coding training to the doctors within the organization. Please keep in mind that I was not hired as a CPC. I was hired as the Manager of Revenue Operations who happens to be a CPC.

If I were to provide training to the doctors of the organization would this be a Compliance/Ethics issue or a conflict of interest.

Thanks and have a pleasant day.

This may depend on what is in your actual job description. In general, a CPC teaching correct coding to any population should not violate compliance or ethics issues. Certified coders are bound by the Code of Ethics established by the AAPC. As long as you are not teaching physicians to code a specific way in order to drive up revenue, or code in a fraudulent way, I would not see it as a conflict of interest. But again it really depends on your responsibility to the organization as a whole.

Last edited:
I agree that you need to know if there is anything that says you can not help train physicians how to correctly document so that the coders can code the services the physician preformed. Many coders do this and I do not see any compliance or ethics risk here as long as you are giving correct information and correct guidelines for documentation as documentation is the key to good coding. Never have physicians code for remibursement but rather code based on treatment preformed and their documentation should support all codes that are billed. Hope this help and if I can be of any help to you please do not hesitate to contact me.:)