Wiki Considering pursuing auditing credential.

Best answers
Good morning everyone, and I hope everyone is having a great week.

I have been doing coding and billing for many years, and I am considering auditing and compliance to advance my career. The main hurdle I see is I have no evaluation and management experience on the coding side. My primary specialty is radiology, although I do some revenue cycle management on the primary care side as time permits, so I am familiar with the codes. Is the auditing and management credential test "heavy" on evaluation and management coding?

Any advice that anyone can offer is greatly appreciated!

The medical coding auditor certification is mostly going to test you on your knowledge of medical standards and documentation guidelines, coding and documentation compliance guidelines, coding and reimbursement concepts, scope and statistical sampling methodologies, medical record auditing abstraction and category risk analysis and communication. As far as evaluation and management coding goes you will be tested on E/M coding documentation guidelines. The medical coding auditor exam has 24 audit cases including auditing evaluation and management services. Although you are not coding E/M services in this role, however; it is still imperative that you understand how to code for E/M services. As an auditor you will need to be able to recognize when something is coded incorrectly.