Wiki consult question

gfreese

New
Best answers
We have a new physician who is asking if they see a patient of another doctor (at the same practice) for say a female pap, pevlic and breast exam because this doctor is a female & the normal doctor is a male..can she charge a the visit as a consult? My feeling and opinion is "no" as they are credentialed the same and there is not a particular medical problem for the use of a "consult" code. Am I correct? Does anybody know?

I would say no since our CPT books state "A consultation is a type of service provided by a physician whose opinion or advice regarding E&M of a specific problem is requested by another physican or other appropriate source. "
Due to the sex of the physican is no reason to bill a consult. I would not image the doctor would write a written request for a consult due to his or her own sex. I believe this is not a valid reason.They can bill a preventive visit if that is preformed otherwise it would be an established patient 99211-99215.
However this is just my thoughts.

Also, let's say the first doctor had requested a consult from another physician within the same group, the consultant must have expertise in a specific medical area beyond the requesting professional's knowledge. This is per Medicare's guidelines.

Zaida, CPC

Nicely pointed out Zaida. An example of this would be in the Orthopedic arena. Both may be Orthopedic surgeons but one has a sub-specialty in Hand Surgery.