Wiki Consult request

jifnif

Expert
Best answers
If a physician has in his plan on a progress note: "cardiology consult" can this be counted as data reviewed for one point in medical decision making?

i have a physician trying to tell me that it should count for trying to acquire more information about the pt's condition and it can score a pt but I am having a hard time fitting it into a category

If it is not a lab test, radiology test, or test in the medicine section, and the physician did not discuss anything with the perf phy, and did not obtain old records and document what the old records were, then unfortunetly, you cannot count any points. If you are unsure, then don't count anything. Better to be safe than sorry. :(

It might help if the physician clarified what he means. To me it doesn't say enough. Does the patient need a cardio consult, has he already had one, what were the results from one the patient had done, etc. You're trying to count it as a data point, right? If it wasn't more cleearly documented then I, myself, wouldn't use it as one. Just my 2 cents

Problem point

Iit's a new problem ... requesting a consult implies additional work-up.

Would not count it for data points, unless he actuall discussed the issue with the consulting physician. (Data points 2)

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels CPC, CEMC