Wiki Consultation Clarifications?

medicalsec

Guru
Best answers
I have read on some other sites that some offices fax a request to the office that is sending the patient to their office to clarify if it is a consult or transfer of care. I was wondering if any other offices do this. We rarely get written confirmation of a consult request in our area, even if the other office is not sure of a DX. They often just fax over tests with no cover letter as to their intent. I think that it would be worth the time to do this to have some form of written confirmation in our chart, and do you think that this would
justify billing a consult if Medicare did an audit.

Thanks,

Dee

Intent of the requesting physician

It is the intent of the requesting physician that determines whether you have a consult or a transfer of care. So, yes, it is definitely a good idea to fax a form to the PCP asking them specifically what it is they want. Is this a consultation regarding a problem? Or do they know what needs to be done but they don't "do that" so they're sending the patient to you for that treatment/procedure?

The "request for consultation" should be documented in both the requesting physician's patient chart and the consulting physician's patient chart. Having the PCP complete a form is one way to ensure this.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC