Wiki Consultation to Surgery Question

ELBrock

Networker
Best answers
Hello! I have a bit of a confusing situation, and I hope someone can give me some direction?
On day 1, the patient presented to the Emergency Department with complaints of pelvic pain. Our OB/GYN was consulted and the patient was discharged home with plans to follow up with the consultant. We billed 99241, consult code.
On day 2, the patient presented to the previous consultants office and a decision was made for surgery to be done at a later date. We billed an established patient visit since we saw the patient the previous day as a consult.
Later in the evening on day 2, the patient presents again to the Emergency Department for the pelvic pain. The OB/GYN is again consulted briefly by phone and the surgery is scheduled for the next day rather than waiting for the previously planned day.
On Day 3, in the morning, the OB/GYN sees the patient and the surgery is done.

**I am struggling with billing the Day 2 office visit and the consultation. I want to bill the office visit now with modifier 57 since the decision for surgery was that day, and the OB/GYN did not actually see the patient to do the consulting H&P/Exam until the next day prior to the surgery. But I am also thinking that the office visit documentation could apply to the consultation by phone later in the day, and maybe would use that info and bill a consultation code instead of an office visit with modifier 57? Because the decision to do surgery immediately was done at that time.

Thank you for your help!