Wiki Contract coding on the side

amanda19791

Networker
Best answers
So.. I have a full-time medical coding job but I wanted some part-time work on the side- maybe contract. Does anyone know where and how to find these positions?

So.. I have a full-time medical coding job but I wanted some part-time work on the side- maybe contract. Does anyone know where and how to find these positions?

Are you on LinkedIn? I see a lot of recruiters share positions there. I get contacted by recruiters frequently too.

Also, many recruiters share positions on Facebook as well. I'd join as many coding related Facebook groups as you can, and you'll often see many positions shared in your feed.

amanda19791,
There is such a shortage of coders out there; you can simply cherry pick and select where you want to work as a "side" career with your timelines and clearly name your price. Please don't allow someone to take your "down, personal time to pay you what you already make" with your current position.
Please be cognizant. If YOU are already working 40 hours a week at $XX.XX don't settle for $XX.XX on your off time, of course unless you are okay with that. Instead, simply ask for $XY.YY because you are dedicating your time away from your family time, your personal time, mental health, cleaning my home, and so forth effort.
Why, settle on getting paid the SAME amount when some other healthcare facility will pay more for "your" expertise?
Completely in my opinion (of course). I worked casual for the facility I just returned their equipment (last week) after all these goodness many years. My LinkedIn has been blowing me up with such offers like you are desiring for like a couple of years now, I feel like a jerk and declining, because I felt I needed to be there, but in reality. I didn't.
You stay true to yourself and put yourself first okay.
Like Jess1980 stated ~ put yourself in a LinkedIn network. You have opportunities galore.
Have a fantastic evening,
Dana​

amanda19791,​

There is such a shortage of coders out there; you can simply cherry pick and select where you want to work as a "side" career with your timelines and clearly name your price. Please don't allow someone to take your "down, personal time to pay you what you already make" with your current position.​

Please be cognizant. If YOU are already working 40 hours a week at $XX.XX don't settle for $XX.XX on your off time, of course unless you are okay with that. Instead, simply ask for $XY.YY because you are dedicating your time away from your family time, your personal time, mental health, cleaning my home, and so forth effort.​

Why, settle on getting paid the SAME amount when some other healthcare facility will pay more for "your" expertise?​

Completely in my opinion (of course). I worked casual for the facility I just returned their equipment (last week) after all these goodness many years. My LinkedIn has been blowing me up with such offers like you are desiring for like a couple of years now, I feel like a jerk and declining, because I felt I needed to be there, but in reality. I didn't.​

You stay true to yourself and put yourself first okay.​

Like Jess1980 stated ~ put yourself in a LinkedIn network. You have opportunities galore.​

Have a fantastic evening,​

Dana​

I do agree with that. If I were going to code a side gig, the absolute bare minimum I'd consider would be the equivalent overtime rate at my day job. (That bare minimum rate might go up depending on the circumstances - if I were going to be 1099 and responsible for my own taxes, if I had to provide my own equipment, etc.)

This is all hypothetical - I don't have time for a side gig with all my other commitments. I already have the opportunity for overtime, but don't always have the time to seize the opportunity.